For the last 8 years I have run the school book fair. 2x a year for a week my entire life (and my family's lives) become caught up in the craziness of this event. I love the book fair and enjoy the time at school and interacting with the kids. I had to make a decision and this is my last fair.. #16. I will miss the event itself. I will not miss the hours and hours of planning or the full time job of it for 9 days from set-up to financial closing. I will miss having a project to work on with my mom -she has been my co-chair for several years and my #1 helper for years before that. But it is time to call it quits. I feel it, I know it, which doesn't make it any easier, although I really thought it would.
So our delivery is Thursday. I have 2 new additional co-chairs this year. Friends who are planning to take over next year, as they have 1st graders and will run the fair for several years and help it grow. I will admit this has been struggle for me. I am not good at delegating, preferring to do it myself and ensuring that way that it will be done to my satisfaction and on my time schedule. I am struggling with that right now, but doing my best to let go and knowing that the fair has a momentum of it's own and it will continue on,no matter what we do or fail to do.
That said, I have 3 days to get my life in order. To get all our clothes clean, get ready for baseball season to start, grocery shop, make my returns, clean, finish my work for my job so I can clear a whole week for the fair, make menus for 10 days, plan meals for days when I will come home exhausted and we will need to eat before heading to karate and then baseball --all in the same night!
I have been trying to make the menu for 2 days. For some reason I am having a hard time remembering crock pot recipes we all loved and eat. I really need to use the crockpot 5-7 times in the next 2 weeks.. so if anyone remembers anything we loved or has a tried & true recipe they loved --don't hesitate to forward it on to me, please!
Time changes are not my friend. I was up early today, hoping it would mean I would go to bed early tonight... obviously that didn't work! I haven't downloaded my pictures for this week but I have some and those posts will be coming over the next couple of days as a strive for a balance of sleep! A sneak peek of what's coming: Sammy took his obedience test, Jackson's academic assembly, Steven's scrimmage games... and more.
Sunday, March 08, 2009
It's almost book fair time.
Posted by Betsey at 10:56 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
pulled pork?
Chicken au vin - & yes, that pulled port is soooooo yummy! I did beef stew (carrots, potatoes & cubes of beef. Cut up an onion for on the top and I use Progresso French Onion Soup (1 can) - the aroma is to die for and the meal is good also. I also did boneless chicken thighs in BBQ sauce with onion on top & Progresso French Onion Soup. you can do a side of yellow rice and a can of peas. Aunt Peg
Hey Betsey, crank up the BBQ and cook a London Broil with a side of fries. You can cook it ahead and warm up in microwave for each person after slicing when ready to eat. I cook one on Sun for Tues, etc. Do you have a toaster oven? Buy Tysons chicken nuggets. They cook up in 15 minutes. I get the huge bag at BJ's - Rocco prefers those to the Perdue (just FYI) you can add a salad. Make egg salad or tuna salad with bow-tie pasta; that's a make ahead, easy store and serve. How about sloppy joes? Another favorite here in NJ - you can do that in the crock or make ahead also. Aunt Peg
Hey Betsey! What do you have in the freezer? We can work it from there
I love that Aunt Peg has such super ideas...I might even try a few of them. Mom
Post a Comment