Thursday, March 12, 2009

Crocker Art Ark Forgotten Post

This actually happened back in late February, but I guess I never got around to blogging about it. The Crocker Art Museum has a trailer called the Art Ark. We have it at our school every couple of years (as the themes change). This year the theme was the Gold Rush. The trailer is divided into 3 sections.. one about visual art, one about dramatic art and the third about still art. They had some amazing paintings and photographs in the still art section. The picture here is of Jackson in the visual art section -it was a camera that projected his image into a static screen -reminiscent of when tv stations stopped broadcasting and all you saw was fuzz. The kids really enjoyed this part of the exhibit -watching themselves and each other as the camera caught their movements in the static. The best part of the time we spent at the Art Ark? Just being there with Jackson. He has such a wide appreciation for art (all kinds) and I admire that. I am sometimes quick to judge or dismiss something as "not my style" but he gives each work time to consider what he does and does not like about it. There was also a puppet stage with Gold Rush scripts and and divided photo depicting Sutters Mill in the past. It was quite a lot of history along with art. This was a great subject for them, as their big Field Trip is coming up to Coloma -which was a big part of the gold rush.
Today Jackson spiked his new short hair... it was so cute! He kept saying no picture, so I didn't get a chance to get one. I will though, then I'll post it! If you haven't seen his blog -he choose to chop his hair the other day.. before and after pictures are located on his blog.

Yesterday Steven's team had baseball practice 7-9:15 --which I really think is too late. We went early to see his friends play a scrimmage game. He got his D-Backs jersey. They ended up playing a scrimmage as well, so I called up his dad to come watch too. I stayed until about 8:30 -when Jack was just anxious to go home and read. I saw him catch and sit one inning... I saw him have one at-bat and he struck out, but got a piece of the ball several times. Right after I got home, my phone buzzed a text message.. I thought to myself --if he hit a home run I am going to scream out loud! I hate missing any of the game, but we have a younger one whose needs have to be considered as well.... so sometimes, I just have to miss some. Apparently Steven was the lead off batter and he hit a triple all the way to the fence! He told me later his coach commented that he sure runs slow..(really my husband explained what he said was that he had thought his kid ran slow, then he saw Steven). I asked if that meant it could have been a home run.. Steven smiled an impy grin and pointed at his dad saying -that's what he said! The bad news is he got stranded at 3rd and didn't score.. but he got there! I really think he has the potential to hit some home runs this year.. he is stronger, has worked hard on his swing and those fences sure aren't that far away.

Today is book fair set up day. We start at noon and will hopefully be done by the time school is out. A great group of ladies are coming to set up -so it should go quickly.
Posted by Picasa

0 comments: