Friday, March 27, 2009

Happy Birthday Mom!

If you read my blog, you most likely know me. So, you would know that I LOVE birthdays! I think everyone deserves to have a wonderfully special day dedicated to them once a year. I have been told that my committment to this ideal is a bit overzealous -but i digress from the reason for this post.... On this day, 60 years ago, my mother was born! Now, she isn't as "big" on birthdays as I am, but she certainly does her best to make them special for everyone else. I wanted to do the same for her. She asked for no party -so we are not having a party. We are having her family dinner tonight, on her actual birthday and that seemed to make her happy. I did invite a few of her close friends to lunch and we will celebrate with her then as well. So she wants no big to-do today, so that is what she will get... but there will be special treats and touches -she deserves them!

What can I say about my mother..... I love her! She is generous, caring and compassionate. She cares for others and worries little about herself. She makes an effort to be a part of her grandkids lives and shows them how much they mean to her in action and word. There are times that people wonder about our family dynamic (last night at the ball game it happened..) and we wonder what makes them wonder? My mother is someone with whom I am allowed to be completely me... we are sometimes brutally honest with each other -and we both appreciate that part of our relationship. If you can't count on someone to tell it to you like it is..then you are really missing out! With love that is unconditional, my mother makes it easy for me to be me and I appreciate her for that. I love that she is my best friend... that we can scrapbook, shop, go to the movies or just connect over a cup of tea. I don't know what else to say ... except

Happy Birthday Mom!!! Today is all about you!

Now, I have to get busy, lots of things to do before I pick her up for lunch........

2 comments:

3 Boys Keep Us Busy said...

Happy Birthday Aunt Nancy. We wish you the happiest of days and can't wait to see you next week!

Love,
Mimi, Tony, Tony, Chris & Rocco

Queenie327 said...

Who knew turning 60 would be so much fun!! Thank you Betsey for planning such a wonderful day. Love ya, Mom