December has hit with a vengenence. As I type this it is37 degrees outside, 65 degrees inside and cold, cold, colder than this California girl prefers. I spend all my time with frozen hands, popsicle like really. I wonder if it is just poor circulation? or something else? No one else I know has this problem.. but me. I was a sight to see today.. sitting in the house at the computer. The high was 55 degrees and I am wearing 3 layers of clothes (silk long john top/bottom, sweats, 2 pair of socks plus slippers, long sleeve thermal henley and sweatshirt. At one point I even put on my snow hat. I was cold. Yikes. Luckily this doesn't last long.. this cold time is only 8 weeks or so and then everything is hunky dory for the next 9-10 months....
So I thought today I would share some of my favorite things about December....
The great big stack of library books I picked up, knowing I will have time to read them! I love to spend winter days in my chair, cuddled up in a blanket, fire going, hot cup of tea at my side.... I can stay like that for hours (except for the occasional pit stop). It is great because I can read longer, meatier books (of course that's not these.... but I have some to pick up this week) I love it because my family will be in the room watching tv or a movie (or Jack playing) and I am reading.. we are all together and yet all happy with what we are doing. I can't do that most of the time.. when it is sunny, I want to be doing something.. I can't just sit there while football is on -why? I don't like football. But when I am reading I will glance up occasionally when Jon or Steven cheer or groan... but otherwise I am content with my book and the peace that only reading in December can bring me.
December wouldn't be the same without Spaan's cookies. I have been visiting this bakery for the last 8 years. It is in Galt and they make the most delicious butter cookies and toasted almond cookies and russian teacakes.. When I stopped there Tuesday -they were out of the russian teacakes, but I picked up the butter cookies. The boys have started liking them, so the container doesn't last nearly as long - in fact I almost want to drive the hour to get another!! I used to get 1 bucket (same size) and put it in the cupboard... I would have a cookie with my tea each night.. not this year -they are already gone. We opened them on the way to Steven's basketball game on Tuesday and by last night, they were no more.So I thought today I would share some of my favorite things about December....
The great big stack of library books I picked up, knowing I will have time to read them! I love to spend winter days in my chair, cuddled up in a blanket, fire going, hot cup of tea at my side.... I can stay like that for hours (except for the occasional pit stop). It is great because I can read longer, meatier books (of course that's not these.... but I have some to pick up this week) I love it because my family will be in the room watching tv or a movie (or Jack playing) and I am reading.. we are all together and yet all happy with what we are doing. I can't do that most of the time.. when it is sunny, I want to be doing something.. I can't just sit there while football is on -why? I don't like football. But when I am reading I will glance up occasionally when Jon or Steven cheer or groan... but otherwise I am content with my book and the peace that only reading in December can bring me.
December is a great month for beer. There are always lots of new flavors to try. I like flavored beer. I don't really like regular beer -but flavored beer --for sure! My all time favorite was Peach Beer made in Bellingham at the brewery. This year we tried the Sam Adams variety pack and this is by far my favorite. Cranberry Beer --super YUMMY! 1 bottle down, 3 more to go.... then I have to find out if they sell it on it's own or if it just comes in the variety pack (we aren't too keen on a couple of the flavors) because we probably won't get that again.
So it's the end of the week for me - I finished my work today and can take a breather until Monday when the next deadline looms. I need to get my car in to be checked -it is making a revving noise all of a sudden. The boys are off tomorrow for a teacher work day. Steven got lucky and they cancelled his 6 a.m. practice since there is no school. He is heading to Redding with Josh's family around 3 -they have a tournament there this weekend. We are going to drive up Saturday and watch the games (3) and then stay over as we have one guaranteed game on Sunday at 1. So a busy weekend awaits us. Tomorrow I have to finalize the dog sitting plans and go to the post office.
I almost forgot -Steven had a basketball game today. They lost by 2. The game was close the entire time ..a nail-biter if you will. He didn't get to play today, but Tuesday he played almost 7 minutes and hit a 3 point shot! Plus they won that day. Only 4 more games left...
Jackson had karate tonight.. only 1 more class day then they have their next belt test. He is testing for his Green belt next Thursday, then promotions are the following Thursday. He went to school early today (again) for choir. They are working hard for their performance which is a week from Saturday. He is super excited about that and it's nice to see him happy.


1 comments:
Cold -- you want cold!!! Come visit Southeastern Idaho...I'll show you cold. *LOL*
Vickie
Post a Comment