Friday, January 25, 2008

Sad News,....

I did not get to post yesterday or today's pictures yet .. and they will have to wait until tomorrow.

Today we got sad news. My cousin Sean and his wife Robin lost their daughter today. Allie was just about 6 years old. She was a fighter and beat the odds more than once. You can read her story of Group B Streptococcus at www.allisonhugs.org.

I never got to met Allison, as they live on the other side of the country in North Carolina. But with pictures and updates by email, I felt a connection to her. There wasn't a day that she didn't cross my mind, or her name wasn't mentioned in my prayers. Now I can pray for my family as they mourn her loss.

Allie had a sparkle in her eye and in pictures always looked like she had something to say. I can only say I wish I had been able to meet her.

When I got the news today from my dad, I was surprised by the intensity of emotion if evoked. I felt for a moment like nothing makes sense and questioned why this would happen. I think whenever confronted with the illness or death of a child, life seems to be extremely unfair. I cried and let the pain I was feeling out. I couldn't help but think how my pain in this situation pales in comparison to that of her parents, her sister, her grandparents. My heart aches for them during this time. I looked at the boys and tried to imagine a day without them, which of course sent me back to tears. I finally realized instead of questioning why God took Allison home today, I need to be grateful to have been touched by her. How wonderous it is that she had almost 6 years here on earth, when it seemed she wouldn't. What a blessing she was to her family. She taught me things from the other side of the country. She touched lives and will live on in the hearts of those who loved her.

I was comforted tonight by a message I received in an email from a good friend (who was there with me today while I cried and questioned):
As you go on from here, I remind you to make the very most of your every day. Do not focus on the troubles of yesterday or what lies ahead in the future, but make the most of today. Grab your spouse, your children, or others who are important to you and give them a big hug and let them know just how much they mean to you!!

So my family and friends ... I want you to all know how much you mean to me! I am grateful for everyone of you. I am grateful for the opportunity to ramble here on my blog, knowing some of you may see it. I know I can't personally connect with everyone on a daily basis ... but since starting posting every day I feel more in touch and I hope you do to. If you are a person of faith, and you can, please take a moment to thank God for sending Allie to us and ask him to care for her
now that she is away from those who loved her the most.

0 comments: