It happened. I knew it would. Eventually it would happen to me. My baby went to high school today. It seems like yesterday I walked him to kindergarten. Today I waved as he left for the bus and was surprised that I didn't feel sad. What I felt was very different from sad. It was excited. I am excited about what the next 4 years hold for him. Who he is to become. How he will change and grow over the next 4 years and what he will experience.
It made me think back to my first day of high school. It was the 80's and big hair was in. I had big hair! I wore textured brown menswear styled pants (pegged of course) with a white button down shirt, tie loosely tied and a vest. I remember it vividly. The nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach.. would I get lost, would I fit in, would everyone else be smarter than me? I knew 9 kids from my middle school going to the same high school as me. It was a competitive school and I wondered if they had made a mistake letting me in? I was going to be in a minority at this school -Asian students made up 85% of the population and Caucasian's were about 5%. I remember being so happy that my brother would be there... he would be on the bus, on the 13 block walk down Eucalyptus Drive and he would make sure I found my way to my first class. I was so thankful that he and his friend Haywood would be there with me, knowing they had already been there a year.
I was surprised that I wasn't sad. I am happy that is the case. I am still nostalgic for the child he was.. if I had my way I would have kept him 5 forever. But time passes and I am so proud of the kid he is now. So thankful to have been blessed by having him in my life.Plus today -I beat him at the slug bug game on the way home from the cupcake store!!! Finally!
Thursday, August 26, 2010
First day of high school.
Posted by Betsey at 7:50 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
I've been winning big at that game yesterday. San Francisco was the best place to play it!
Can't wait to see Jack's middle school picture!
Post a Comment