Over the years I have really come to believe that attitude is a huge determining factor in the outcome of life. When I think good, I act good and good things happen. I like that. I have always been a glass half full kind of girl ---although during the rougher (young child) years, I will admit that occasionally I did view the glass as half-empty thru my sleep deprived haze. The problem with seeing the glass as half-empty is that the more you feel that way, the longer your life feels that way, until you don't even remember there was another {better} way.
The good news about attitude is that you can change it at any time. I know now that I was the painter of my own canvas and if I want a different picture it has to be who paints it differently.
So I have undergone a huge transition in my thinking over the last 18 months and in response I have a totally different outlook. I love that! I am struggling to get back the parts of me that disappeared when the kids arrived -like keeping my house up and maintaining my friendships. I will still work on that, every single day. No matter what my family has to come first and I wouldn't trade the time I spend with them for anything. Eventually I will get there and I will be happy to be there when it happens.
I was reminded about attitude today when talking to my son. I got home from work saw Jackson sitting at the table doing homework. My husband mentioned to me that he had been doing his homework for the past 2 hours or so. When I asked Jack how it was going, he said good. He never complained about having 2 hours of homework on the 3rd night of school. He actually commented to me as I was fixing dinner that what he liked most about his work was that he did it {mostly} on his own and he made very few mistakes. His handwriting was clear and his answers concise. He took his time to do a good job. Slow and steady wins the race, right? I like that he understands himself so well -most people don't.
He did a project in Language Arts where he had to compare himself to objects and here is what he said:
"I am a circle because everything goes smoothly and the same way everyday -just like how I like my life. I am a sloth because I'm a slow and hard worker, and I always get the job done. If I were a kitchen tool I would be a blender because I cause destruction. If I were a color I'd be yellow because I'm bright and I make people happy."
I am so lucky to be blessed with a boy who is so intuitive about who he is and what he needs. I sometimes question his choices {like deciding last minute to not be in the band or play fall ball} but then I remember that as well as I know him, my kid knows himself better. I admire that. I am very proud of him. I can hardly believe he is in middle school. I promise that I will take the traditional 1st day of school photo!! This year it will just be the 1st Friday of school photo instead!
Thursday, August 12, 2010
attitude is everything...
Posted by Betsey at 7:55 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment