Last night Jonathan and I attended a Spirit of Jesuit parent dinner. It was held at the school in the gym (supposed to be outside, moved inside because of threat of rain). We got there at the start of the social hour and checked in, got our name-tags then walked around. There was a Booster Club table (already signed up) and a table for Christmas Tree Lane (already signed up!) so we headed to the Logo store. I splurged and bought myself a red girl shirt that says "Jesuit Mom" in rhinestones. It is sparkly, yet subtle so I love it. I think I will wear it to work tomorrow.
We walked around a bit, then picked a spot to sit for dinner. My husband always prefers to sit in the back, so he doesn't obstruct others view. So we grabbed a table and there was no one near us at all. We sat down (thankfully together) and scoped out the room. There were lots of people milling about, talking and drinking in groups all around the gym. People that knew other people. We knew each other. I realized at that moment that this is probably how Steven felt going into high school -he knows 1 person & they only have 1 class together. So we sat, talked and looked around. Eventually, I got up to get a 2nd margarita and when I returned there was another person sitting at our table! A nice guy, his wife couldn't make it and his son is also a freshman. Then another couple sat down and little by little the table filled up.
So while I was worried for a moment that Steven would feel all alone, as I felt at my moment of realization... by the end of the night I made a new friend. Her name is Sonia, she lives in Folsom, works at Intel and has a son who is a freshman and a 4 year old daughter. We made plans to have coffee before the Loyola Guild meeting. She is very nice and I look forward to getting to know her better.
We had a great night. It was fun to meet new people and see the scope of community at the school. It was nice to be out together, enjoying this experience with my husband. We are looking forward to a great year!
Sunday, August 29, 2010
being new...
Posted by Betsey at 10:26 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment