Friday, July 10, 2009

Friday Fun

This morning started off as not many of my summer Fridays do.. at 6:28 a.m. Jonathan stayed home from work, thinking he might be coming down with the flu bug I had last weekend, but we were both awake. So he went off to Starbucks and the donut store and we watched some tivo'd shows together. By 9am -he headed upstairs and I got started on my projects around the house. Steven came in about 9:30 -he had stayed the night at Josh's and they had dropped him off on their way to eye appointments.

I worked distractedly for the next few hours --rearranging furniture, sweeping, mopping, checking facebook and email....then about noon told the boys I needed to go to the mall. Steven opted to join me -heading for the video game store while I shopped for a strapless bra (should I say that on my blog??) We also stopped for lunch while we were out and had a nice time just hanging out the two of us.

I was planning to get a few new pairs of capris for my trip next week to Dallas... after pricing them, I was looking for another option. I found some really cute (I think!) sundresses at ross for $12-$14 each.. so I got 4 and am totally thrilled with my purchases. I was told by Jackson that I couldn't wear one to his basketball game tonight -it was too "dressy" for basketball apparently. I needed a strapless bra to go with the dresses -thus the trip to the mall. I am happy to report that the do make comfortable ones now that stay up! Enough said.

When Steven & I arrived home, Jackson was already excited about going to his game. It was scheduled for 5:30 p.m. and it was only 3. He was dressed in his uniform, with shoes & socks on by 3:45. First game of the season...playing against the team his cousin is on.. totally psyched him up. This is a "new" team for him -in that last season there were 2 teams in this age group with our coach and this time they've been merged into one team.

So we get to the game at 5:15 and there are only 2 other players in black, but 10 in white...yikes, we are on the black side. By game time we are up to 5 players (with one more coming in just as tip off happened)... so we have 6 -not bad, it'll have to do. The boys played hard, using their recent camps and drill oriented practices to play darn well. With only 5 players, they were all running hard the whole game, whereas the other team was able to rotate fresh players in each period. Jack finally sat out in the 4th period --but had to go in with a little less than 2 minutes left, as a player on our team fouled out. By the end of the 4th period (there are 5 8 minute periods in a game) another player fouled out --leaving us with only 4 players to their 5 for the entire 5th period. Did they give up? Nope, they went on to score 10 points in that period, winning with a final score of 42 to 15. For a team with only 1 official practice together and short 1/2 their team -they played an amazing game.

I was happy to see that the basketball camp really helped Jack develop his game as he seems so much more aware of his job and how to do it. They had him blocking the tallest kid on the other team (who wasn't small!) and he held his own.. getting several rebounds and assists. He really enjoys the game and it is nice to see him so engaged in a team sport.

I wanted to share these pictures -I know they aren't great... I really need to get a new lens to take indoor sports photos -the shutter speed on my fixed lenses just doesn't keep up... but they are what they are. I took 50 -just want to share 3....

Jackson is a defender in motion, right on his man (the blurry one to his right)

Love this picture -it is Mikey (Jack's best friend) and Logan

There's the guys after the game --beat red faces, tired, sweaty and SMILING! Love it!

We headed home and sat down to watch the Giants game. Jonathan Sanchez was starting and I wasn't too happy about that.. but what can you do. Jonathan left about the 4th to go to bed.. Steven & I watched until the 7th.. Giants were up 8-0 and so we turned on a show we had tivo'd that the 3 of us wanted to watch (Royal Pains- great, fun show)... then the phone rang at 9:30 pm -it was my dad asking if we were watching the game. So we turned it on in time to see the last 2 outs in the 9th .. the end of the 1st No Hitter game for the Giants since 1976!! Sanchez pitched a full game, no hitter --what a great ending:) Thanks Dad for alerting us so we didn't miss the celebration! That's what we get for turning the game off just because our team is winning by a mile....Go Giants!!! I just can't believe Benjie missed it -but he was with his wife having a baby!

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Cyn said...

Great shots Betsey-I may have to steal them :)
Ciera hung out at the mall from 1-3 yesterday as well.
It really does help the game of basketball when everyone knows where to be and 'trusts' what to be doing. Looking at the 2nd picture there's no reason for that kid to just be standing that far above the top of the key. Hopefully our players will learn to trust in the offensive plan a bit.
My favorite part of a first game is being able to see the growth by the end of the season.

Unknown said...

"beat red" or "beet red" ????????
PAPA

Queenie327 said...

Great pictures! I love the Jack And Logan smiles...that's my boys!